In 2004, Carly Patterson became only the second American woman to win an Olympic all-around gold medal and the first in a non-boycotted Olympic Games. She was the first American woman to win the title in 20 years. She also won silver medals for the balance beam and the Women’s team competition.
Carly's performance at the Olympics made her a household name, leading to numerous appearances on television talk shows and award shows and her induction to the USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame.
Soon after the Olympics, Patterson was diagnosed with several bulging discs in her lower back that had gone unnoticed. She announced her intention to take time off from the sport to rehabilitate her back, but hearing her doctor say 'Carly, you really need to stop if you want to be able to walk when you get older', she made the difficult decision to officially retire from the sport in 2006 - without ever participating in another major competition.
Later that year, Carly released her co-written autobiography, Be Strong, revealing the strength and perseverance that helped her win Olympic gold.
On the heels of her legendary achievements at the 2004 Olympic games, and never one to shy away from a challenge, Carly aggressively pursued a career in vocal performance, songwriting, and production - complete with high-level recording contracts, movie appearances, and regular rotation of her songs on radio and television.
In 2012, Carly married the love of her life, and over the years that followed, her resilience would be put to the test again as she and her husband navigated the dark trail of infertility, a path that one in every eight couples is forced to travel.
"This body that had achieved a gold medal at the Olympics, one of the toughest things you can ever do, was, at this point, failing me, and that was difficult.”
Her achievements as a gymnast and the opportunities she pursued after retiring gave Carly a unique perspective on embracing true success, finding lasting fulfillment, and addressing the question: what do you do when your most significant accomplishment is behind you?
In her authentic, humorous, and down-to-earth presentations, Carly shares the redefinition of success through principles she learned as a championship-level gymnast - and in the challenging years that followed.
Carly continues to be an inspiration by sharing her story of resiliency, fearlessness, dedication, and hard work.
Speaking Topics -
"From Best to Better: The Champion's Guide to Skillfully Managing Change"
What does it take to reach the pinnacle of success? Then, what does it take to get better? Not only will you learn practical insights from Olympic Gold medal gymnast Carly Patterson, you will be drawn into a story of resilience, winning in a competitive environment, and enjoying the journey. Carly applied the same drive and determination that took her to the highest podium to become a recording artist, entrepreneur, and mom. Her speech, From Best to Better, is a moving experience of excellence, reinvention, and peace of mind.
Key attendee takeaways:
- Resiliency in the face of uncertainty and adversity
- Not letting your achievements define you
- Conquering your fears and leveling up
- Letting your setbacks be a setup for success
"Tenacity, Grace & Grit: A Story of Stubborn Determination, Resilience, & the Pursuit of Excellence"
In her keynote address, Carly shares how she redefined success through three principles she learned as a championship-level gymnast and in the years that followed. Carly’s authentic, humorous, and down-to-earth communication style is the perfect vehicle for a message that students, athletes, and professionals need to hear to embrace true success and find lasting fulfillment.
Key attendee takeaways:
- Courage to take your “What’s next” step
- How to stay focused and move towards your goals
- Embracing the spark
- Making decisions from a place of freedom and not fear
Top 5 Key Takeaways from Carly Patterson's Presentations
1. Embrace the Spark:
- Recognize and pursue moments of passion and curiosity.
- Be open to new paths and detours for personal and professional growth.
2. Continuous Improvement:
- View achievements as stepping stones, not final destinations.
- Embrace healthy competition and dedication for ongoing success.
3. Resilience Through Setbacks:
- Save setbacks for later, using them as opportunities for growth.
- Overcoming challenges builds resilience and contributes to personal development.
4. Being Present for Excellence:
- To perform at your best, stop obsessing over perfection.
- Find success by being present and letting go of the need to do everything perfectly.
5. Curiosity Quotient and Balance:
- Embrace curiosity for ongoing innovation and patience.
- Strive for balance in life, recognizing that it's a continuous and personal effort.
Carly takes her time to get to know her audience, her clients, and events. She will take her time to customize her keynote so it's best suited for your attendees. Carly is happy to bring her Olympic medals and do a meet & greet/autographs/pictures with attendees. Carly can also customize her message and share insights on how God played and continues to play a role in her life, helping you and your attendees reaffirm their faith and get closer to God.